Visit our Changemaker’s Reference Library
This section of our site has articles on countering sexism in the workplace, raising respectful kids and more; links to groups that are working to make change; and tips on writing effective letters and on asking your group for support.
Individual and Group Actions
One person can definitely make a difference – but in combination with others, you can multiply your effectiveness. Below are some tips for how to help advance the cause of Compassion Globally on your own, and step-by-step suggestions to guide you in getting your group or club on board.
- Write a letter to a business, religious, military or political leader or a person of influence in your community. Ask them to speak out loudly and clearly to find and support innovative ideas and appropriate laws that will help to protect women and girls.
- If you’re a member of a group or organization, ask them to support Compassion Globally. See the section below for a guide!
- Talk to your friends, family, neighbours and others about CG.
Reducing sexual violence against women and girls will only happen if enough people demand and encourage it. Individual actions add up and do make a difference!
Getting your group involved
Getting your group or organization on board is the best way to maximize your impact. And here’s how to do it:
- Arrange for five minutes at your group’s next gathering to make a brief presentation about Compassion Globally.
- Give your talk, starting with our goals and why they’re important to you. Here’s a suggestion of what you could start off with:
“Compassion Globally is group that is trying to address the issues of abuse and sexual violence toward women and girls. They do this through awareness and prevention campaigns. They’re asking people the world over to challenge leaders and people in a position of influence, to take a stand against sexual violence and commit to making changes.”
- Finally, ask for the group to consider one or more of these actions:
– Compose a letter from the group to a business, religious, military or political leader or a person of influence in your community. Ask them to speak out loudly and clearly to find and support innovative ideas and appropriate laws that will help to protect women and girls.
– Make a public statement on behalf of the group in support of CG’s goals. This could be a statement and link on your group’s website; or a mention of the group and its goals at a public appearance or event.
– Organize a fundraising event to further the work of Compassion Globally.